When installing Windows Small Business Server 2008/2011 you will notice that part of the SharePoint Foundation is a CompanyWeb webpage that can be used as your intranet, folder sharing and other internal company functions.
The CompanyWeb is forced by Group Policies by default onto the client PC’s, so as soon as you join a PC to the domain it will set the CompanyWeb (http://companyweb) as your default home page in Internet Explorer. You can then change the default home page in IE and as soon as you log off and log back on, the CompanyWeb page is back as your home page.
So what do you do if you don’t want it as your default home page?
– Go to START -> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS -> GROUP POLICY MANAGEMENT
– In Group Policy Management, browse down to WINDOWS SBS USER POLICY
– On the right of the window click on SETTINGS on top and click on URL’s / IMPORTANT URL’s
– Right click on URL’s / IMPORTANT URL’s and click EDIT
– The GROUP POLICY MANAGEMENT EDITOR will open
– Under USER CONFIGURATION, browse to URL’s and double click on IMPORTANT URL’s on the right.
Change the HOME PAGE URL to the website that you want to enforce to every user. If you want every user to be able to set his own Home Page, leave the HOME PAGE URL blank and un-tick the CUSTOM HOME PAGE URL and save your setting.
Hope this helps to remove Companyweb as default Internet Explorer Home Page.