One of my clients bought a Microsoft Surface Pro. One of the applications that he needed installed wants to install .NET Framework 3.5. When you click on Search and Install Automatically, Windows 8 gives an Error code 0x800F0906 when installing .NET Framework 3.5. For some reason Windows 8 couldn’t connect to the internet to download the necessary files to install .NET Framework 3.5 even though the Surface Pro is connected to the internet an working correctly.
I have tried a couple of ways to solve this issue. Here is the one that worked for me.
Fixing Error code 0x800F0906 when installing .NET Framework 3.5:
Because the Microsoft Surface Pro does not have an on-board DVD Drive, I had to use a USB External DVD Drive to complete this method.
1. Insert a Windows 8 DVD into the DVD Drive.
2. The source of the .NET Framework 3.5 feature can be found in the following folder:
D:\sources\sxs (D: will be the drive letter of your DVD Drive)
3. Open a command prompt by pressing WINDOWS KEY + R and type CMD in the box and press ENTER.
4. At the command prompt, type the following command and press ENTER.
Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
5. The installation might take a while but when it’s completed, .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed and enabled.
With this method I was able to fix the Error code 0x800F0906 when installing .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.